Will one piece can ever become the most popular anime?

Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

I have been thinking about this... Most of the anime are over and very few long anime are still ongoing.
So do you think one piece can even be on the top?

[Image: 6bc972f0df4d014940d3f6dfd1a3a9be.png]
Angel
Super Nova

i don't think it would become the most popular anime. if kids going to be it would have already got that position.
that place would always be death notes

Demon_skeith
Rouge pirate

No, if it was going to be the most popular it would be. Granted it is popular but not like number one popular. It's been running so long that no way anyone could ever get into it and affect ratings.

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

It was never all that popular to begin with.
Shounen anime are somewhat big but aren't always the biggest in Japan, and outside Japan, Naruto and Bleach exploded in popularity. Reason: Bad 4kids One Piece English dub. Even Dragon Ball Z wasn't as big in Japan as it was outside.
One thing we forget is manga is sort of the more popular medium in Japan. So, the manga of One Piece, Naruto and Dragon Ball are extremely popular.
Original anime tend to be the most popular anime of the year in Japan, sometimes. Cases in point, the year these original anime came out: Neon Genesis Evangelion(best selling anime of all time), Madoka Magica, Code Geass, Kemono Friends, Tiger & Bunny, Yuri on Ice.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
Sindar
Retired Staff

(04-17-2018, 03:58 PM)Star_Of_Hope Wrote: I have been thinking about this... Most of the anime are over and very few long anime are still ongoing.
So do you think one piece can even be on the top?

If you define "on the top" as having the most broadcast views in a week then I think it regularly gets there. There is no way of knowing, with so many viewers watching OP on streaming sites and such. It is not that hard to find a definition of "most popular" that would fit a show as big as OP, especially since a lot of the competition has subsided at the moment.

Angel
Super Nova

it's popular but it could never take the to place. it's always the same with long series. they get steady rating but not off the charts

Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

(04-20-2018, 01:03 AM)Sindar Wrote: If you define "on the top" as having the most broadcast views in a week then I think it regularly gets there. There is no way of knowing, with so many viewers watching OP on streaming sites and such. It is not that hard to find a definition of "most popular" that would fit a show as big as OP, especially since a lot of the competition has subsided at the moment.

I meant as an overall top anime in some category like death note. I don't think it's in top even in action genre.
It is still popular but not popular enough to get to the top

Sindar
Retired Staff

(04-21-2018, 01:08 AM)Star_Of_Hope Wrote: I meant as an overall top anime in some category like death note. I don't think it's in top even in action genre.
It is still popular but not popular enough to get to the top

What makes you say that Death Note is the top in some category? : D MAL? That is an arbitrary rating, representing only a fraction of anime fans, heavily biased towards very active English speaking anime viewers. 

But anyway, if you wanted to ask "will One Piece ever reach top position in the MAL popularity list?", then  would answer yeah, it might, but it is unlikely. The manga is #4, so at least it has a chance. The anime is #33, should be possible to grow from there to the #1 if the show keeps going for a couple decades more, or if Japanese fans start to register on MAL. It is more a question of statistics though =)

Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

(04-21-2018, 01:41 AM)Sindar Wrote: What makes you say that Death Note is the top in some category? : D MAL? That is an arbitrary rating, representing only a fraction of anime fans, heavily biased towards very active English speaking anime viewers. 

But anyway, if you wanted to ask "will One Piece ever reach top position in the MAL popularity list?", then  would answer yeah, it might, but it is unlikely. The manga is #4, so at least it has a chance. The anime is #33, should be possible to grow from there to the #1 if the show keeps going for a couple decades more, or if Japanese fans start to register on MAL. It is more a question of statistics though =)

I believe even Japanese people got accounts in Mal. 
Even so, I agree with only a fraction of anime fans having Mal accounts.
I don't have one either.
I didn't know that Manga is in 4 th place. I assumed it's in first place

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(04-21-2018, 01:41 AM)Sindar Wrote: What makes you say that Death Note is the top in some category? : D MAL? That is an arbitrary rating, representing only a fraction of anime fans, heavily biased towards very active English speaking anime viewers. 

Death Note the anime isn't popular in Japan, yes, but for an anime that only got a short Adult Swim run, it's still the most popular short anime out there internationally. Yes, it's not as popular as Dragon Ball or Naruto, but it's still more popular than any other short anime out there, be it Attack on Titan or Cowboy Bebop. Heck, everybody was talking about that debacle of a live-action film that Netflix released lasy year.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."