MAL April Fools

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

Did you all notice it in your myanimelist account? 
An entry called 'A MAL Documentary' is added under 'currently Watching' and will be rated 10/10.
It also has like 1.3 million members, more than Death Note, which is #1 in terms of popularity.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

I haven't noticed this at all. Well I don't have a Mal account and I don't think the guest account got this feature

[Image: 6bc972f0df4d014940d3f6dfd1a3a9be.png]

Demon_skeith
Rouge pirate

I don't have one to be pranked, but Toonami is running good with the pranks tonight, so the anime world is full of pranksters right now.

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(04-01-2018, 04:51 PM)Star_Of_Hope Wrote: I haven't noticed this at all. Well I don't have a Mal account and I don't think the guest account got this feature

Yeah you need to be a member for that.
(04-01-2018, 05:16 PM)Demon_skeith Wrote: I don't have one to be pranked, but Toonami is running good with the pranks tonight, so the anime world is full of pranksters right now.
Yeah, I read about it like right now, and I wish I could've watched it too.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
Sindar
Retired Staff

(04-01-2018, 04:13 PM)MadaraUchiha Wrote: Did you all notice it in your myanimelist account? 
An entry called 'A MAL Documentary' is added under 'currently Watching' and will be rated 10/10.
It also has like 1.3 million members, more than Death Note, which is #1 in terms of popularity.

Apparently MAL has 5 million accounts:
[Image: iPDBnfz.png]

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(04-01-2018, 06:40 PM)Sindar Wrote: Apparently MAL has 5 million accounts:
[Image: iPDBnfz.png]

Yeah just saw it, and MAL does have 5 million accounts. I was curious and I was pretty shocked to see that. I guess it's not really used that much these days. Barely one anime per year makes it to 500,000 entries. Though this year(particularly Spring 2018), there's gonna be a lot of participation, since half the anime are sequels to extremely popular anime.

Sindar
Retired Staff

(04-01-2018, 07:01 PM)MadaraUchiha Wrote: Yeah just saw it, and MAL does have 5 million accounts. I was curious and I was pretty shocked to see that. I guess it's not really used that much these days. Barely one anime per year makes it to 500,000 entries. Though this year(particularly Spring 2018), there's gonna be a lot of participation, since half the anime are sequels to extremely popular anime.

I dunno, I would say the site is doing pretty great. The top anime have more than 900 000 users, meaning that 20% of the users watched them. Considering how many people don't update their accounts and how people don't really watch the same shows, that is a great ratio. And there are even some recent anime, like One Punch Man, that get close to a million users. Having shows that get 200-300 thousand people is pretty good too, for a seasonal anime. It is kinda reflective of how much people watch seasonal stuff. Like, I haven't watch anything fresh since Mob Psycho and Drifters, and so I am not contributing : D

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(04-01-2018, 07:14 PM)Sindar Wrote: I dunno, I would say the site is doing pretty great. The top anime have more than 900 000 users, meaning that 20% of the users watched them. Considering how many people don't update their accounts and how people don't really watch the same shows, that is a great ratio. And there are even some recent anime, like One Punch Man, that get close to a million users. Having shows that get 200-300 thousand people is pretty good too, for a seasonal anime. It is kinda reflective of how much people watch seasonal stuff. Like, I haven't watch anything fresh since Mob Psycho and Drifters, and so I am not contributing : D

But, the fact is, Yuri On Ice was the most popular show of 2016(more popular than even My Hero Academia, at that time at least), and it barely has like 230,000 entries. Now, MHA has like 750,000 entries, so maybe MAL's primary fan-base is mostly Shounen, isekai and fantasy, but still. Plus, in the last two years, I've seen an exceptionally high recency and sequel bias. Shows are easily able to get past 8 and 8.5, with less number of votes.

Sindar
Retired Staff

(04-01-2018, 07:24 PM)MadaraUchiha Wrote: But, the fact is, Yuri On Ice was the most popular show of 2016(more popular than even My Hero Academia, at that time at least), and it barely has like 230,000 entries. Now, MHA has like 750,000 entries, so maybe MAL's primary fan-base is mostly Shounen, isekai and fantasy, but still. Plus, in the last two years, I've seen an exceptionally high recency and sequel bias. Shows are easily able to get past 8 and 8.5, with less number of votes.

I think 230k isn't that bad. When I made my account I think Death Note had about  500k members. I mean, sure the site is going to get more and more inactive accounts, but it is not that bad now. And if shonen is by far the most popular, and it is also the genre that attracts people who don't have mal accounts. If you only watch 10 anime why would you make one, right? The numbers would have been way higher otherwise.

Oh that bias had always been there. I don't even look at the rankings of sequels, the numbers are meaningless. I've actually calculated it back in 2014, 16 out the top 30 anime were sequels. There are also new anime bias, where the show that hasn't finish yet gets higher votes, bias against older animation, because people punish them for outdated looks and so on.

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(04-01-2018, 08:56 PM)Sindar Wrote: I think 230k isn't that bad. When I made my account I think Death Note had about  500k members. I mean, sure the site is going to get more and more inactive accounts, but it is not that bad now. And if shonen is by far the most popular, and it is also the genre that attracts people who don't have mal accounts. If you only watch 10 anime why would you make one, right? The numbers would have been way higher otherwise.

Oh that bias had always been there. I don't even look at the rankings of sequels, the numbers are meaningless. I've actually calculated it back in 2014, 16 out the top 30 anime were sequels. There are also new anime bias, where the show that hasn't finish yet gets higher votes, bias against older animation, because people punish them for outdated looks and so on.

I also think that the only incentive is to make entries about older ones, since the people who update their list every time they watch an episode is a niche group. Lol, I made a list when I watched like 6 anime.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned recency bias. Tastes are subjective, yes, but sometimes I just don't get it when anime get scores close to 8.5. There's this Winter 2018 anime called Yuru Camp, that currently has a great score, and I watched the first two episodes in Jan, and it was the most boring, uninspired bland, thing I watched in quite some time, and I never imagined it would often be compared to a master-work like Sora Yori. But, what I learnt was that for people who liked it, it was 'comfy'.
Old anime have it pretty rough. I've watched very, very few anime pre-2000, and Cardcaptor Sakura was my favourite but its score, IMO, is pretty low(it has like an 8.2, but still). And, the funny thing is the animation holds up incredibly well. Though, the ones around 2006-2010 have the highest scores, since that's around the time the site was in its early years.