Devilman: Crybaby 1-5 Episodes Discussion

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

Look, I've to say this, the techno music in this anime is just... amazing. The last time a soundtrack that mostly uses a certain type of music impressed me this much was Samurai Champloo(with Hip-Hop). The opening also had techno I believe, and it was pretty amazing, with great visuals.
I guess this has to be stated, the anime has gratuitous violence, and nudity, so be warned. Though, both are appropriate in this case, to I guess symbolise the extreme way in which the primal instincts of demons work, how violent they are and how much they crave for sex.
The first episode was amazing, but the best part was the night-club scene. That's probably the best night-club scene I've ever seen, in any movie or anime or TV series. From then on, it's more about Akira being human at heart, while also having the body of a devil, and trying to stop those demons which are evil. And, many characters, like Miki willing give their body up to attain greater power. 
The animation is mostly amazing, but some people might think it's 'bad', just because the humans don't normally look like humans. It's a stylistic choice from the director, and not bad animation. 
Overall, I liked all 5 episodes.

What did you think?

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
Angel
Super Nova

boobs boobs and more boobs.
blood, blood and more blood
devil,devil and more devils
i like it but i would be watching hatrijime my hero first

Nameless
Rouge pirate

Already you have watched 5 episodes? Isn't just yesterday you have all agreed to watch? I might not make it in time, so, I will skip watching with you this time

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(03-11-2018, 01:45 AM)KuranKaname Wrote: Already you have watched 5 episodes? Isn't just yesterday you have all agreed to watch? I might not make it in time, so, I will skip watching with you this time

Really free today and it's just 2 hours, so I went ahead and watched it.
Anyway, the discussion thread for the next 5 episodes will only be posted next Saturday, and the anime has only 10 episodes.
Plus, the link for this thread is always up at the top of the page. You can see that.

(03-10-2018, 11:48 PM)SecretWish Wrote: boobs boobs and more boobs.
blood, blood and more blood
devil,devil and more devils
i like it but i would be watching hatrijime my hero first

Yeah, well, but everything looks so vivid, and amazing.
You didn't suggest that though. Anyway, it's just 10 episodes.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."

Risk
Pirate

I've already seen this series but ill just add a small comment anyway. I also really liked the soundtrack it was one of my favorite parts of the series, the animation was very simple but i liked the style they went with.

Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

I am sorry to say this, but I won't be watching this. This anime isn't for me.
I would be watching with you something else next time.

[Image: 6bc972f0df4d014940d3f6dfd1a3a9be.png]

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(03-11-2018, 04:21 PM)Risk Wrote: I've already seen this series but ill just add a small comment anyway. I also really liked the soundtrack it was one of my favorite parts of the series, the animation was very simple but i liked the style they went with.

It was appropriate, since it involves something that's not human, positioning the camera in such a way that they don't appear normal, or purposely elongating their body structure does sort of serve a purpose.

Sindar
Retired Staff

The clips I've seen looked really good, I first thought it was from one of those artsy movies/OVAs or experimental animation. It is kinda interesting that it gets so much attention though. It is an adaptation of Go Nagai's manga, and Go Nagai is someone you should read only when you know what you are doing Grin It is like, way off from the "safe for general public" zone, the guy is one of those people who give anime/manga the reputation for being weird. Seeing his work appear in the mainstream is pretty amusing =) I would expect nothing less than a waterfall of criticism for this show, just because of it being Nagai's adaption, regardless of the stylistic animation even.

I wonder if the story is any good though? Go Nagai is definitely not boring, but I don't remember him as a master story-teller. I've only read/seen a small fraction of his work though, so my impression might be wrong.

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(03-12-2018, 02:06 AM)Sindar Wrote: The clips I've seen looked really good, I first thought it was from one of those artsy movies/OVAs or experimental animation. It is kinda interesting that it gets so much attention though. It is an adaptation of Go Nagai's manga, and Go Nagai is someone you should read only when you know what you are doing Grin It is like, way off from the "safe for general public" zone, the guy is one of those people who give anime/manga the reputation for being weird. Seeing his work appear in the mainstream is pretty amusing =) I would expect nothing less than a waterfall of criticism for this show, just because of it being Nagai's adaption, regardless of the stylistic animation even.

I wonder if the story is any good though? Go Nagai is definitely not boring, but I don't remember him as a master story-teller. I've only read/seen a small fraction of his work though, so my impression might be wrong.

Well, yeah, before going into it, I did read the history of this manga and the author. It apparently inspired Berserk and Evangelion, so that's something.
Plus, it looks artsy because it's from the same director as Kaiba, Ping Pong and Tatami Galaxy, and I think you've watched Kaiba, so you know what I mean, right?
As far as the story is concerned, well, it's nothing special actually, and it's pretty standard. Its strength is the balls to the wall crazy imagery, which is both extremely sexual and violent, and the break-neck speed at which it moves. And, the really, really interesting animation and art direction.

Sindar
Retired Staff

(03-12-2018, 02:34 AM)MadaraUchiha Wrote: Well, yeah, before going into it, I did read the history of this manga and the author. It apparently inspired Berserk and Evangelion, so that's something.
Plus, it looks artsy because it's from the same director as Kaiba, Ping Pong and Tatami Galaxy, and I think you've watched Kaiba, so you know what I mean, right?
As far as the story is concerned, well, it's nothing special actually, and it's pretty standard. Its strength is the balls to the wall crazy imagery, which is both extremely sexual and violent, and the break-neck speed at which it moves. And, the really, really interesting animation and art direction.

I haven't seen these, but I know how their animation looks =) More dynamics and fluent motion with more simplistic extra flat character designs, right? I didn't know all of them were directed by the same guy, that is cool.

Go Nagai is also good with unpredictable turns of events, hopefully this series will deliver some =) I've seen Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman, if this series is anything like it, it could get pretty crazy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Devilman: Crybaby 6-10 Episodes Discussion MadaraUchiha 4 557 03-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: BurnsyCEO
  Devilman: Crybaby anime for March 2018 Star_Of_Hope 18 1,232 03-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Angel