New To Manga

Rustier

I am new to the manga scene, what would you recommend? Keep in mind that I have a short attention span and I get distracted easily. So I usually need something with a fast pace and a lot of action in it.

"It's like the story of the monkey trying to capture the moon. No matter how he struggles, it's just the moon's reflection on the water he sees. So he only sinks into the water. Time after time, he sinks."
Nameless
Rouge pirate

That information isn't very helpful as there are many anime and manga that fits. I only watch anime but read vampire knight manga

Ace
Retired Staff

Regarding your "Fast pace" maybe i assume you mean, fight scenes or just short manga in general? Cause you can't exactly speed through manga.

[Image: b8d013dffb.png]
テクニカル諏訪子
Retired Staff

If storylines doesn't matter much and want to have quick laughs, you can get a Creyon Shin Chan manga.
The one I'm holding in my hand at the moment of typing has 285 pages, it's split into 4 parts, and each chapter is worth 3 pages only.

One example:
[Image: IMG_2020.JPG]
[Image: IMG_2023.JPG]

ケロケロ。

Username in English: Technical Suwako
Demon_skeith
Rouge pirate

Shin Chan doesn't have much action to it, but if you have an open mind to its comedy it can be pretty good.

Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

(03-11-2018, 06:38 AM)TechnicalSuwako Wrote: If storylines doesn't matter much and want to have quick laughs, you can get a Creyon Shin Chan manga.
The one I'm holding in my hand at the moment of typing has 285 pages, it's split into 4 parts, and each chapter is worth 3 pages only.

One example:
[Image: IMG_2020.JPG]
[Image: IMG_2023.JPG]

That animation and story wouldn't be appealing to just anyone. Only few people would appreciate it. But I do agree with all the opinions here

[Image: 6bc972f0df4d014940d3f6dfd1a3a9be.png]
Sindar
Retired Staff

(03-11-2018, 06:38 AM)TechnicalSuwako Wrote: If storylines doesn't matter much and want to have quick laughs, you can get a Creyon Shin Chan manga.

One example:

You reading it in Japanese? :O That's impressive.

Is that an older volume of the Shin Chan, by the way? The way the page is broken into panels, and the art style, it feels like 70s to me. 
I checked MAL, the manga only started publishing in 1990, so I was 20 years off xD

テクニカル諏訪子
Retired Staff

(03-13-2018, 02:59 AM)Star_Of_Hope Wrote: That animation and story wouldn't be appealing to just anyone. Only few people would appreciate it. But I do agree with all the opinions here

I actually don't agree here.
The series was very popular when it still aired in Europe, and people ly age still see it as their childhood.
And in Japan it's still popular today, I've even seen a metro themed after this.
[Image: shinchanchikatetsu.jpg]

(03-13-2018, 03:19 AM)Sindar Wrote: You reading it in Japanese? :O That's impressive.

Is that an older volume of the Shin Chan, by the way? The way the page is broken into panels, and the art style, it feels like 70s to me. 
I checked MAL, the manga only started publishing in 1990, so I was 20 years off xD
Yes, I can read Japanese.
Actually, I'm chatting with friends in Japan in Japanese on Discord every single day on tonnes of occasions (on weekends I even talk all day).

No, it was bought last year actually (around the same time I took the photo above).
It's just because I caried this book around in my bag a few times to read while commutting.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018, 05:35 AM by テクニカル諏訪子.)

ケロケロ。

Username in English: Technical Suwako
Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

(03-13-2018, 05:32 AM)TechnicalSuwako Wrote: I actually don't agree here.
The series was very popular when it still aired in Europe, and people ly age still see it as their childhood.
And in Japan it's still popular today, I've even seen a metro themed after this.
[Image: shinchanchikatetsu.jpg]

Actually, I'm chatting with friends in Japan in Japanese on Discord every single day on tonnes of occasions (on weekends I even talk all day).

No, it was bought last year actually (around the same time I took the photo above).
It's just because I caried this book around in my bag a few times to read while commutting.

I never thought it's that popular to be honest. Well it's good to know that all she groups seem to like it.

[Image: 6bc972f0df4d014940d3f6dfd1a3a9be.png]
Sindar
Retired Staff

(03-13-2018, 05:32 AM)TechnicalSuwako Wrote: I actually don't agree here.

That is pretty cool =) It is the kanji that scare me when I think about Japanese. The language doesn't seem to be super hard, but learning the letters to be able to start reading anything seems like an almost impossible task... Just curious, are there good way to start learning without kanji? Like, are there books or maybe anime subtitles that are pure hiragana and katakana? I know shonen manga often has those tiny letters that tell you how to pronounce a kanji, you even have them on your comic photo, is that the best thing you can get for a beginner?

I see. Shin Chan's art is pretty fun to look at, by the way =)