Free Hosting - Is it worth it? What are your favorite companies?

jyy

For a low-traffic site, it could be a good idea, but a serious operation might run into trouble - unless it's ad-supported.  Note, the ad-less free hosting normally limits resources (and sometimes support also).

Demon_skeith
Rouge pirate

It's only worthwhile if you plan on hosting a small non-important forum. If you have serious plans about it though, you need to go with a service like Jcink or pay for your own.

KuranKaname
Pirate

I don't like sites with free hosting. If someone cares they would pay for it

Risk

I've used free hosting before and it is not good at hosting anything out out lag if you go past basic html pages. Very simple forums can work but they will lag very bad if even a few people are trying to access the website at once.

KuranKaname
Pirate

(01-11-2018, 07:53 PM)Risk Wrote: I've used free hosting before and it is not good at hosting anything out out lag if you go past basic html pages. Very simple forums can work but they will lag very bad if even a few people are trying to access the website at once.

Html is old school now. They don't have that hype anymore. I would rather see a nice forum, blog or website

テクニカル諏訪子
Tenshi

(01-11-2018, 08:24 PM)KuranKaname Wrote: Html is old school now. They don't have that hype anymore. I would rather see a nice forum, blog or website

Not sure what you're talking about, but HTML is a markup language that powers every single website in existance, no exceptions.
Better yet, you can't just replace it, simply because it's the way web browsers render websites for you along with CSS and Javascript.

And whatever language you use to make website, the output will always be HTML.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018, 04:30 AM by テクニカル諏訪子.)

ケロケロ。

Username in English: Technical Suwako
SecretWish
Rouge pirate

i don't know anything about hosting but don't you get good service, when you pay money for it? everyone would want to make more bucks

テクニカル諏訪子
Tenshi

(01-13-2018, 04:24 AM)yaoifangirl Wrote: i don't know anything about hosting but don't you get good service, when you pay money for it? everyone would want to make more bucks

That's not always the case.
Smaller hosting companies might be friendlier, but the major ones are way more likely to abuse their powers and easily get away with all that.

Also depends on where the company is located.
Japanese companies are extremely polite no matter what, while Russian and French ones can be really harsh.
American and German ones are polite if they're smaller, but complete arseholes if they're famous.
And Dutch ones are just always straight to the point, which can be a good thing because you'll immediately understand what they mean, but at the same time can be a bad thing because they might be a bit too direct sometimes.

ケロケロ。

Demon_skeith
Rouge pirate

(01-12-2018, 04:29 AM)TechnicalSuwako Wrote: Not sure what you're talking about, but HTML is a markup language that powers every single website in existance, no exceptions.
Better yet, you can't just replace it, simply because it's the way web browsers render websites for you along with CSS and Javascript.

And whatever language you use to make website, the output will always be HTML.

I think he means like actually making a webpage with basic html skill that isn't built around a type of software.

テクニカル諏訪子
Tenshi

(01-15-2018, 05:27 PM)Demon_skeith Wrote: I think he means like actually making a webpage with basic html skill that isn't built around a type of software.

Even that still remains incredibly important to anyone in a web industry, whether it's a web engineer, web designer, or even a marketeer.
If you have the basic HTML skills, you'll have the knowledge and skills to further develop yourself to a deeper specialty, like any of those I mentioned above, or even some others.

It might be of less importance to more casual internet users, but that has always been the case.

ケロケロ。