Anime and It's Start in the West

jyy

When I was a teen in the 90s, they had Mutant Ninja Turtles and all the common Asian influenced video game stuff like Mortal Combat.  However, though, I hadn't really heard of anime.  So when did it really start becoming fashionable in the west?

KuranKaname
Pirate

Pokemon is popular and it's an anime based game. You should have known that given the popularity of that game.

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

Well, it's the 90's. The main reasons are DBZ, Pokemon and Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell and Akira were also somewhat popular. And, then of course, the big 3 came along, and 2006, 2007 happened(seriously, look up the anime that were released in those two years), and then, Crunchyroll and Funimation came along.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

(11-14-2017, 09:43 PM)MadaraUchiha Wrote: Well, it's the 90's. The main reasons are DBZ, Pokemon and Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell and Akira were also somewhat popular. And, then of course, the big 3 came along, and 2006, 2007 happened(seriously, look up the anime that were released in those two years), and then, Crunchyroll and Funimation came along.

Only from 2007?
I thought anime got a long history madara.

[Image: 6bc972f0df4d014940d3f6dfd1a3a9be.png]]
MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(11-15-2017, 12:49 AM)Star_Of_Hope Wrote: Only from 2007?
I thought anime got a long history madara.

Yes, that's why I talked about DBZ, the big three, which were pre-2007. The 2007-onward thing was about short anime. Attack on Titan probably contributed a lot to the younger generation and the concept of following seasonal anime.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

(11-15-2017, 02:08 AM)MadaraUchiha Wrote: Yes, that's why I talked about DBZ, the big three, which were pre-2007. The 2007-onward thing was about short anime. Attack on Titan probably contributed a lot to the younger generation and the concept of following seasonal anime.

I would like that position to be given to other anime, but as it is a fact, I have no say over it.
I thought pokemon or beyblade are the initial ones

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(11-15-2017, 02:34 AM)Star_Of_Hope Wrote: I would like that position to be given to other anime, but as it is a fact, I have no say over it.
I thought pokemon or beyblade are the initial ones

I did mention Pokemon in my initial post, and I was merely mentioning a few off the top of my head. There's a lot you know, like Samurai X(Rurouni Kenshin), Slam Dunk, Sailor Moon that became popular during the late 90's and early 2000's.

Kamikaze
Retired Staff

It wasn't really the 90s. I mean, in the most literal sense, it started in the 60s with Astroboy, Speed Racer, you had things like Space Battleship Yamato in the 70s. When Dragon Ball came, that popularity intensified and ushered in the golden age of anime.

Star_Of_Hope
Akatsuki

(11-15-2017, 10:36 AM)Kamikaze Wrote: It wasn't really the 90s. I mean, in the most literal sense, it started in the 60s with Astroboy, Speed Racer, you had things like Space Battleship Yamato in the 70s. When Dragon Ball came, that popularity intensified and ushered in the golden age of anime.

Dragon Ball is a popular as your. Even now people like it.
Are you sure that astroboy is an anime?

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(11-15-2017, 08:05 PM)Star_Of_Hope Wrote: Dragon Ball is a popular as your. Even now people like it.
Are you sure that astroboy is an anime?

Anime wouldn't be what it is today without astroboy. Extremely influential. Perhaps the most.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is anime your favorite hobby? jyy 3 35 11-15-2017, 12:08 AM
Last Post: fords8
  Opposition to the Anime Hobby jyy 2 36 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Last Post: yaoifangirl
  Anime's Roots in Japan jyy 1 29 11-14-2017, 02:45 AM
Last Post: KuranKaname