Anime from Outside Japan

jyy

How about anime in the West or in other parts of Asia?  How about anime in places like Europe or Africa?  Do you think, if it does exist, that it would be any good?  Would it look drastically different than from what we see in Japan?  Finally, is the trend of non-Japanese anime increasing?

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

Well, technically, any animated production produced outside Japan is not considered anime. So, that can't happen. However, there have been many animated series that have taken inspiration from certain style and tropes that can be seen in anime. The most famous example of that would be the excellent Avatar: The Last Airbender series.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
Nel
anime outside japan?
i never thought they take up manga to create animation

jyy

(08-11-2017, 02:03 AM)MadaraUchiha Wrote: Well, technically, any animated production produced outside Japan is not considered anime. So, that can't happen. However, there have been many animated series that have taken inspiration from certain style and tropes that can be seen in anime. The most famous example of that would be the excellent Avatar: The Last Airbender series.

The term anime is a bit misleading.  It refers to animation movie but actually in Japan, and as also understood in the west, it refers to a specific type of animation.  So actually, of course, what is asked is, "Is the animation style in Japan - known as anime, taking off elsewhere?".

テクニカル諏訪子
Tenshi

If I recall correctly, Winx Club looks very Japanese anime-like, but it's actually Italian.
And we have a term called "Danish cartoons" to refer to the most classic types of animations next to "American cartoons".

Not sure if any other animation films that didn't come from Japan, Italy, America, and maybe Denmark have been as widespread before though.

ケロケロ。

Username in English: Technical Suwako
Demon_skeith
Rouge pirate

Besides Winx club and Last airbender, I would also consider Code Lyoko a good type of anime which is a French production animation.

KuranKaname
Rouge pirate

(02-06-2018, 02:22 PM)TechnicalSuwako Wrote: If I recall correctly, Winx Club looks very Japanese anime-like, but it's actually Italian.
And we have a term called "Danish cartoons" to refer to the most classic types of animations next to "American cartoons".

Not sure if any other animation films that didn't come from Japan, Italy, America, and maybe Denmark have been as widespread before though.

Are they included in anime streaming websites? We are taking about anime and it's only in Japan

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

(02-06-2018, 10:01 AM)jyy Wrote: The term anime is a bit misleading.  It refers to animation movie but actually in Japan, and as also understood in the west, it refers to a specific type of animation.  So actually, of course, what is asked is, "Is the animation style in Japan - known as anime, taking off elsewhere?".

Depends on the definition. For people outside Japan, anime denotes anything animated produced in Japan. For people living in Japan, anime is anything animated, be it from Japan or outside.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
テクニカル諏訪子
Tenshi

(02-06-2018, 06:59 PM)KuranKaname Wrote: Are they included in anime streaming websites? We are taking about anime and it's only in Japan

Anime is really nothing more than a shortened word for "animation".
アニメーション → アニメ, like so.
And whether series are being included on anime streaming websites or not is irrelevant, anime might not be included on such sites too, even when it's from Japan.

On the other hand, Japanese TV also airs stuff like Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, et al.
Does that make those series Japanese anime too?

Edit:
More flaws in your sentence "anime is only in Japan".
Series such as Pokemon or Dragon Ball get broadcasted in the west too, does that mean those are no longer anime?

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 03:57 AM by テクニカル諏訪子.)

ケロケロ。

Username in English: Technical Suwako
KuranKaname
Rouge pirate

(02-07-2018, 03:54 AM)TechnicalSuwako Wrote: Anime is really nothing more than a shortened word for "animation".
アニメーション → アニメ, like so.
And whether series are being included on anime streaming websites or not is irrelevant, anime might not be included on such sites too, even when it's from Japan.

On the other hand, Japanese TV also airs stuff like Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, et al.
Does that make those series Japanese anime too?

Edit:
More flaws in your sentence "anime is only in Japan".
Series such as Pokemon or Dragon Ball get broadcasted in the west too, does that mean those are no longer anime?

I just said what i know. You don't have to be defensive about this. When I type anime in google it only says that Japanese animation is called anime and it's japanimation. So, it's not entirely my fault that I misunderstood.