Anime review - Megalo box

BurnsyCEO
Tenshi

One of the most talked about and hyped shows of the spring 2018 season, comes an anime that could have easily been overlooked due to other high profile animes taking the spotlight. I hear it pays homage to a 50 year old boxing anime called ashita no joe but that's something I know nothing about so I'll skip it.

Megaloboxing is a sport which is basically boxing with huge augmented mechanical arms whose sole purpose is to make you punch that much harder. But as cool as a concept that is, the show really isn't about the mechanical part of the sport but the human part. 
Our protagonist is an underground fighter who is making ends meat by throwing illegal underground megalobox fights for the despite being far superior skill wise as a boxer to the rest of his opponents. The story is about our nameless protagonist who has an encounter with the world champion of megaloboxing and they become rivals and get in the ring in episode 1 itself in one of the best and hypest first episodes I've seen in a long time.

"They don't make graves for stray dogs" - Junk dog

[Image: Megalo-Box-Episode-2.jpg]

You will definitely notice the artstyle in the anime being much different than your regular anime. It looks cell shaded and it goes for the 80's anime look of cowboy bebop/samurai champloo and while it makes the slum settings look very nice but a lot of other environments and characters look flat and unmoving at times with very obvious outlines. The fights however look pretty good which goes to show where the money and effort went.
It might be an artistic choice but not a very good one.
The soundtrack however is very dope. Makes you really get into the story and fights. And I absolutely love the voice over of the main character,he sounds like a fucking man.

Overall, it's a story of an underdog.It's about over coming challenges both inside and and outside the ring. It's no generic sports anime, it's got a lot more going for it. The ending might be a bit controversial how they handled it but the final fight was amazing. It's only 13 eps and I'd say a must watch for this season.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2018, 08:55 AM by BurnsyCEO.)

[Image: nZtVY7G.gif]
Nameless
Rouge pirate

I will watch it but I have my concerns over art. Your review is good and I lost my interest in sports anime

BurnsyCEO
Tenshi

(07-02-2018, 02:29 AM)KuranKaname Wrote: I will watch it but I have my concerns over art. Your review is good and I lost my interest in sports anime

Even I don't watch sports anime but 1 episode is all it took to hook me in.

MadaraUchiha
Akatsuki

The pilot episode was perfect, no doubt about it and the first 3-4 episodes were great as well but for some reason I wasn't having a good time after that. It's just that I got used to the anime's thing and it became boring. Could not watch more than 8 episodes. Maybe it's just me and the mindset in which I was watching. 
However I can't deny that Joe is an actual man, and more than anything the soundtrack is God-tier. The visual was off and on for me. The difference between this and Champloo is that Champloo doesn't look like it was downscaled to look like 480p. Even old anime have crisp and clear edges. But the fight scenes were amazing in the initial episodes, although I got used to it and the soundtrack in later episodes so it got boring for me.
But I would recommend people to check this out if they love underdog stories.

" Justice is subject to dispute; might is easily recognized and is not disputed. So we cannot give might to justice, because might has gainsaid justice, and has declared that it is she herself who is just. And thus, being unable to make what is just strong, we have made what is strong just."
Nameless
Rouge pirate

(07-02-2018, 08:00 AM)BurnsyCEO Wrote: Even I don't watch sports anime but 1 episode is all it took to hook me in.

Thanks man. I will watch the first episode and decide to watch it or drop it. I would most probably complete it based on your review.

BurnsyCEO
Tenshi

(07-03-2018, 07:58 PM)MadaraUchiha Wrote: The pilot episode was perfect, no doubt about it and the first 3-4 episodes were great as well but for some reason I wasn't having a good time after that. It's just that I got used to the anime's thing and it became boring. Could not watch more than 8 episodes. Maybe it's just me and the mindset in which I was watching. 
However I can't deny that Joe is an actual man, and more than anything the soundtrack is God-tier. The visual was off and on for me. The difference between this and Champloo is that Champloo doesn't look like it was downscaled to look like 480p. Even old anime have crisp and clear edges. But the fight scenes were amazing in the initial episodes, although I got used to it and the soundtrack in later episodes so it got boring for me.
But I would recommend people to check this out if they love underdog stories.

Watch the last few episodes,episode 9 thats literally where it picks up again with the last few fighters.

(07-03-2018, 10:05 PM)KuranKaname Wrote: Thanks man. I will watch the first episode and decide to watch it or drop it. I would most probably complete it based on your review.

Nice to hear

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2018, 12:19 PM by BurnsyCEO.)

Demon_skeith
Rouge pirate

Looks like it has really sharp visuals, I'll try and keep it in mind for future viewing.